What Is Truth?

Friday, May 14, 2010

John 18:37-38

37"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.
Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."
38"What is truth?" Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, "I find no basis for a charge against him.
When Jesus was on trial and being questioned by Pilate, the Roman Leader asked Jesus the question, “What is truth?” Sometimes it’s not easy to ascribe tone to situations in the Bible, but in this case, it seems to me Pilate is saying this sarcastically, otherwise Jesus might have answered him.

Jesus actually answers this same question when He was praying for His disciples in the chapter preceding this one.

John 17:16-19
16They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. 18As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
Obviously we can tell God’s word is the truth. It’s the best place to find answers for life, like what’s right and what’s wrong. If you’ve never read God’s word, why not start today, it’s called the Bible. A good starting point is the gospels, the first four books of the New Testament, where the life of Christ is recorded by Mathew, Mark, Luke and John, four of the disciples, so that the entire world could see and know Jesus.

Here are a couple songs by Plumb, an artist I really like. She wrote the songs about her child, Solomon, but could also be interpreted as what God might be saying to us on a daily basis. Listen for a couple lines on truth.





Don’t just listen to my opinions, check the Bible and see for yourself.
S.R. Harris

0 comments: