God's Got Your Back

Saturday, September 25, 2010

In this post, I’d like to share with you some Hebrew words and their translation. They have some personal significance in my life. God does watch over us all.

Jeremiah 1:11-12

11 The word of the LORD came to me: "What do you see, Jeremiah?" "I see the branch of an almond tree," I replied. 12 The LORD said to me, "You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled."
When God calls Jeremiah, the prophet sees an almond tree in his vision (1:11), and God responds. Just as Jeremiah sees an almond branch, God watches that His word will be fulfilled. In Hebrew, the words for almond branch and watch have the same root. God uses a play on words to show Jeremiah that His word will be fulfilled.

almond (tree)
Original Word:

Transliteration: shaqed
Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-kade')
Short Definition: almond


to watch, wake
Original Word:

Transliteration: shaqad
Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-kad')
Short Definition: hasten

For those of you who don’t know, I’ve shared a post of some pictures I drew and one of them was from when I had a vision. My vision had a banner in it. If you want to check it out, here’s the link. For some reason, when I was a kid, I always liked the phrase, Jehovah-nissi, but I never knew what it meant. It turns out, this Hebrew phrase means God is my banner. It’s incredible, because this was in my vision for years, and didn’t know what Jehovah-nissi meant until 2010. Like God told Jeremiah He was gonna watch out for him and use him to accomplish His will, He in similar way, He told me the same thing in His unique way. God is awesome!

Jehovah-nissi (God is my banner)
Original Word:

Transliteration: Yhvh Nissi
Phonetic Spelling: (yeh-ho-vaw' nis-see')
Short Definition: Jehovah-nissi

0 comments: